Thursday 15 January 2015

WATCH DOG MY FOOT



ARE WE STILL BRETHREN?
The irony of brothers and sisters in churches today is one thing I find very amusing and comical. Hypocrisy is now wearing different regalia in the house of God; the holy Church of God. They call themselves brethren, brothers and sisters. Some have even adopted specialized names to mark the ironically unique qualities of their group; daughters, Lifers, Chosen, Ambassadors, lovers, youths etc. these are not bad things to do but are we really brethren?
We call ourselves brethren, beloved, and so on but within us, we hate and castigate one another, we backbite and insult each other, we look down on others and see ourselves bigger and more important than others, you suspect and blame each other, yet you still go about calling brother, sister, beloved, brethren. We encourage tribalism and have derogatory, egoistic and insulting terms we call members of the rival tribes. Are we still brethren?
Do we have a heaven for the Ashanti and another heaven for the Ewe? Has God a special Holy Spirit baptism for the Ga and another for the Frafra? We say we are brethren going to one heaven but within us, we are full of tribal bigotry, hatred, suspicion and divisiveness in our hearts towards members of other tribes even in the same church. Are we still brethren?
Let a new position crop up in the church and both pastors and board members are looking for members of their tribe to occupy the position. Let a scholarship emanate, then we shall see tribalism at its zenith.
We call ourselves brethren yet we stab each other at the back? Why do you call me sister and still look down on me? Why do you call me brother and still insult me because of my tribe and status in the church? Are you not ashamed of yourself to be a hypocrite in the house of God? Why do you call me sister but will not let me marry that brother who is likely to become the pastor, just because of my tribe? Were we not all baptized into the same Spirit? Are we still brethren?

Christians have forgotten so soon that in the early church, members sold their lands to feed the poor. Where is the fellowship of old? We see a brother come to church in tattered cloths while we parade in the best and most fashionables of our zeitgeist. Instead of helping that brother with just one used shirt and trouser, we group under trees and summer huts to gossip and insult this brother that he is colour blind and does not dress well to church. If he stops coming to church because of our most holy suspicious looks, we say a lady has kissed him. Are we still brethren?
When will the church of God stop this nonsense?
I attended a mass wedding of a church in the middle belt of this country, a cosmopolitan city, and met the greatest disgrace of my life; every one of those ten or so couples was marrying his tribe mate! The Ewe brother to his tribe sister, the Ashanti man to his tribe sister, the Ga to his tribe sister, the Fante to his tribe sister, the Dagbani to his tribe sister! Yet they all claim they prayed and GOD LED THEM! Is God so “tribalistic?”
I came down to my own church where my pastor and I discussed my senior brother’s marriage to a woman from B.A. Apreku to be precise. My pastor said so disgustingly
Why didn’t he go to Volta?
That was at home. I came up to campus and observed the leaders in my church, and guess what…every one of them is married to their tribe mate! What the hell is wrong with us? Are we still brethren?
I am glad I don’t worship any of my father’s “royal gods” those are tribal gods. I serve Jehovah Nissi who stretches his banner over ALL men. He says in Ezekiel 18:4 all souls are mine. He didn’t say the Ga-Dangme, Igbo or Yoruba or Oyo or Anexo or Zulu, Ewe, Anlo or Ashanti soul is mine. He says ALL SOULS ARE MINE.
Are we still brethren?
If we are still brethren, why is individualism reigning in the church? Why is self interest running ahead of the church business, why do we choose from which wedding to attend because of the tribe of the members.
If we are still brethren, why is it that when my father died, I looked round and saw only my unbeliever friends? Why is it that when I was hungry, only my moslem friends fed me? When I was sick only my traditional pagans came to visit me? If we are still brethren, why is it that our church board is made up of the pastor and his family? Because he does not trust others. Yet you close and call me brother, sister. Don’t brother me in hypocrisy.
If we will be brethren,
Then repent and let’s return to the fellowship of old. Let each one of you see his brother as higher than himself. Respect the poor and the rich alike FOR WE ALL MUST APPEAR BEFORE THE JUDGMENT SEAT OF GOD.
Is anyone listening?         I shall return.
It’s your boy
E.A.R. AGBENYO YAO                                                                     CEO: Youth and Future Incorporated, Ghana.
0543556235, 0274864449                                                                  Hon.agbenyo@ymail.com 
HALLELU……………IAH 

No comments:

Post a Comment